Friday, February 02, 2007

The Eternal Question...bloody why??!!

I’m really rather cross at the moment. I’m cross at whoever it was that started the trend in which human beings cannot simply trust each other. We all seem to have this crazy tendency to deny, reject or question everything that is put to us. This is particularly the case when people give us compliments or generally say something nice about us or to us. Many people (myself included) immediately think:

“is that for real?”
“are they just saying that because they want something from me?”
“are they just saying that to placate me?”
or, “are they just jerking my chain?”

It’s not surprising that it’s girls, in particular girls with lower self-esteem, who are generally the ones asking these questions.

Though I admit to suffering from periods of fairly heavy self doubt (what woman doesn’t?), I wouldn’t say my self-esteem is unusually low. I know some people who perceive my self esteem to be quite low, but I think I am actually more into myself than many think. While I recognise my flaws, I’m also (believe it or not) aware of what I can do and some of the good things about myself.

Anyway, to cut a convoluted point short, the big old’ question I’m trying to put out there is:

Why the hell can’t I take a compliment?
Why the hell can’t I simply accept when something nice is said about me and not worry that there’s a hidden agenda?

Ahhhh!!!!

No comments: