Monday, January 01, 2007

The New 'Do...


Let me talk about bleach.

I have just (perhaps stupidly – yet to be determined) had my hair dyed quite blonde. I had an interesting encounter with a fairly aggressive hairdresser who thought I’d look ‘totally hot’ if I changed from my fairly dark reddish brown hair colour to something a bit more Annie Lennox-esque.

I'm still getting used to it. Actually, I'm still recovering from the emotional and literal physical scars that are part and parcel of the whole bleaching process. Apparently, according to my hairdresser, bleaching ‘bloody hurts’ at the best of times. Now I have quite a sensitive scalp – it tingles and hurts when I dye my hair normally.

May I just say that the pain was excruciating.

I actually had to ask the hairdresser to take the bleach off, it was that bad. My jaw was aching from twenty-five minutes of clenching my teeth in pain. My scalp is raw, bleeding and scabbing. Needless to say, this is not a process I will be repeating in a hurry.

And the outcome? Well, I'm not sure that I'm sold on it. Some people like it, some people don’t, some people have taken awhile to get used to it. I'm still undecided. Sometimes, I feel like I'm really digging the kind of rock chick look that I’ve got going on; other times I just feel like a blasted pansy. Still, when all is said and done, it’s just hair and it will grow (won't it??!!).

And I can always dye it back. If I can stand going through the process again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well no matter what you think...I think that your new do looks bloody hot!

Who said that blonds weren't smart??