Thursday, November 16, 2006

Pondering the Hallmark factor...

What’s that old saying? A problem shared is a problem halved? Something like that.

Normally neat little sayings like that annoy me; life is never simple enough to condense into a quaint little phrase. I’m positive they pay some little hobbit-like old man to come up with and write down such phrases. He’s probably sitting in a dingy little cellar right now, trying to capture the world’s problems in one sentence. Then I’m sure he sells them to Hallmark, or some other corporation who make their money from cheesy inspirational quotations.

But every now and then, they ring true. And when that happens, you have a bit of an epiphany. I seem to be in the process of epiphing at the moment. My problem, now shared, has definitely lost much of its weight. As a consequence, I feel like I can deal with it far more easily than before.

Profound. Maybe a little cheesy (and definitely angsty), but profound. I should call Hallmark.

No comments: