Monday, October 30, 2006

Sour grapes and wankas...

Sometimes I wonder: ‘How on earth am I supposed to deal with patronising wankas?’ I’m sure it’s a fairly common question. At what point are you allowed to say to a friend: ‘You’re a patronising wanka and I no longer wish to partake of the friendship?’

A ‘friend’ of mine has agreed to pass public judgement on a special project of mine and has just phoned me to give me the heads up that he’s about to do it. And (his wankatron words) he’s ‘not above being controversial’. Surely that’s slang for you’ve-done-something-really-good-and-because-I-hate-myself-at-the-moment-I’m-going-to-bring-you-down-with-me.

And if I go ahead and criticise his criticisms of me, does that automatically count as sour grapes? I HATE the sour grapes rule. It’s one of those nasty clauses of life that defends anyone who ever gives ‘constructive criticism’.

Perhaps I should look at it in a positive light. Maybe this will provide me with an opportunity to do a little spring-cleaning on that particular friendship. Maybe I should just wait and find out what his criticisms are first. THEN I’ll spring clean.

I hate wankas. And sour grapes.

No comments: